Do you have a child who dances at the thought of pink, sparkly, or ballet? My 5yo daughter does. She has been dancing through the library and grabbing any book that is pink, sparkly, or features ballet on the cover. It’s rather delightful.
Not all of these books are pink and sparkly or about ballet. They are all fantastic books loved by my daughter and myself. And most definitely not dinosaur books.
Here are 11 fantastic books for little girls.
1. Fancy Nancy by Jane O’Connor is a favorite with my daughter and I. This series features a little girl much like my own. My favorite part of the series is the use of ‘fancy words’ which are then defined for the children.
2. Chickerella by Mary Jane Auch has been checked out several times. It’s a humorous retelling of Cinderella.
3. 5-Minute Princess Stories (5-Minute Stories) any story about a Disney princess is a hit in this house. My daughter loves them all.
4. Bea at Ballet by Rachel Isadora has my daughter trying the various foot positions in ballet. It’s a highly requested read-aloud at bedtime.
5. Presenting Tanya, the Ugly Duckling by Patricia Lee Gauch is about a girl learning her part in the ballet The Ugly Duckling while telling the story of The Ugly Duckling at the same time.
6. Miss Tutu’s Star by Leslea Newman is a delightful story of a girl studying ballet and working hard for a couple of years before she makes her debut on stage.
7. The Duchess of Whimsy by Randall and Peter de Seve is a simply extraordinary tale that shouldn’t be missed!
8. The Very Fairy Princess: Here Comes the Flower Girl! by Julie Andrews and Emma Walton Hamilton is fun story about a little girl when her aunt gets married.
9. Angelina and the Royal Wedding by Katharine Holabird is about Angelina Ballerina when she is invited to a royal wedding.
by Ludwig Bemelmans is a classic book well loved for many generations. My daughter enjoys it as much as I did.
11. The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch is a unique variation of the classic tale of a dragon, a prince, and princess.